you forget to answer

you forget to answer">
You forget to answer


A friend sent some files of detail shots from some 19th century portraits to try & identify. Whilst searching my library I discovered the drawings for this portrait & a large rough version on heavy paper in charcoal.
I didn't manage to find the information that I was looking for ( sorry Begonia) but was inspired to finish this portrait without any other references besides the drawing & memories of looking through dozens of reference books. Nothing happens in an ordered sequence for me & paintings that have sat unfinished for years in the batcave can suddenly catch my imagination & I can finish them. Sometimes only the smallest details of the original work remains & usually there are several drawings under the surface.
If I ever finish anything completely I lose interest in it entirely & generally just destroy it after a day or two. If I really love it I often burn it immediately so the memory can never be tainted by my realising that I missed a mistake. Sometimes burning them gives them a new lease of life for a few moments while the flames transform all those hours of scratching away.

Not that it has anything visually to do with the painting but it is just that the expression of the girls face reminded me of the lyrics to this song by Nico.


No comments:

Post a Comment